An explanation of “Dear you” March 6, 2009Posted by XZX in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Miscellaneous.
Tags: Higurashi, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
The song “you” (composed by dai) from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is one of my favorites, along with its many derivatives.
Many of these versions can be found on Youtube, among other places. I’ve seen so many of them mislabeled, usually with the “Dear you” prefix. So, I, with my nitpicky nature, felt that it might help if I unload everything I know about it here. I’ll include links to each one if I can find them, drawing from existing youtube videos for convenience.
Last edited 10/10/09.
- you is the original BGM from the CD Thanks/you by dai, the composer of much of the Higurashi soundtrack. There are two other versions on the same CD: you (M.box fuu) and you (Vocal). The vocal version is sung by Yuduki (also Romanized as “Yuzuki”). This vocal version is one of the most widespread ones; it is VERY often mislabeled as “Dear you” or “you -Visionem im Spiegel-”
- Other songs from Thanks/you that share the main motif from “you” are Thanks, Confession, Birth and Death, Omoi, and Omoi (Vocal).
you – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugO3qKenn8
you (Vocal) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KSw5werPD8
Thanks – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFlLQbksqs
Omoi (Vocal) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usnzrs2joMk
A high-quality mp3 for the instrumental version of “you” can be found at dai’s own website, http://www.geocities.jp/iwamud/index.html, in the mp3 section.
- The Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack (for the game) contains three songs that have the motif: you -destructive, Uro, and Cradle song, all instrumental.
- The sountrack also contains “you (M.box),” “Birth and death,” “confession,” “Thanks,” and “you,” all five identical to their appearances on Thanks/you.
you -destructive – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNyu_Gqihck
- you -Visionem im Spiegel, from image album Kakeramusubi, has the same lyrics and vocalist as “you (Vocal).” It is often simply labeled “you” or given the “Dear you” prefix.
-The title track of the other image album, Kokoro Musubi, also contains the melody.
- The four “true” Dear you songs are Dear you -Cry-, Dear you -Feel-, Dear you -Kind-, and Dear you -Hope-, released on the Dear you image song CD. -Cry-, sung by Yuduki, is Rena’s song; -Feel-, sung by Kotoha Minoru, is for Mion; -Kind-, sung by Yukimiya Hinaki, is for Satoko; and -Hope-, by Hotarubi Kakeru, is for Rika. (In truth, I’m not really sure if Dear you is official, but I’m inclined to think so due to the inclusion of Yuzuki.)
- Omoi -You were in the wind of summer-, sung by Yuzuki Kaoru, is found on the same CD, but it doesn’t have the “Dear you” prefix.
Dear you -Cry- – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqDTgrgn3O0
Dear you -Feel- – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdE9u4wa-ZA
Dear you -Kind- – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjzo2ID4vPQ
Dear you -Hope- – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYpHFXKZm2o
Omoi -You were in the wind of summer- – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7-rPaVW7yQ
- Confession (Vocal) and Thanks (Vocal) are from the yours CD by dai. Based on the BGM with the same names, they are sung by Yuduki, and they serve as two of Shion’s image songs. Often mislabeled “Dear you -Confession-” and “Dear you -Thanks-”.
-The instrumental tracks Kokoro, Don’t Cry, and Kairi use the “you” motif. Heppoko Sanbun Cooking and Ikuseisou also have elements of “thanks”.
-hello and the hidden track that follows it don’t exactly have the “you” motif, but the general sound is close enough to be reminiscent of it.
-yours includes versions of Birth and death, Cradle song, Uro, you -destructive, thanks, confession, you (M.Box fuu), and you that have some subtle differences from their Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack counterparts.
Confession (Vocal) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH7NHhiBNEQ
Thanks (Vocal) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9iQZd1VBE
you -destructive – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7h7xq1_dEE
thanks – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-8HRl3gNk
- The Higurashi Daybreak Original Soundtrack has a rather… er… interesting version of thanks.
- Ano Hi, Ano Basho, Subete ni “Arigatou” is the ending theme for the Tsumihoroboshi-hen drama CD. Based on “Thanks,” it is sung by Keiichi’s voice actor, Hoshi Souichiro. It is very, very often mislabeled “Dear you -Trust-” (which is the title of a fanmade version, also for Keiichi); this one irritates me to no end.
-The CD also contains an off-vocal version and two versions with alternate arrangements.
- Yukino Satsuki, the voice actress for Shion and Mion, sang versions of you and Thanks for the Meakashi-hen drama CD.
-The CD also contains off-vocal versions of both songs.
- With “you” -Kizuna- was released on a special mail-in CD. It features the cast of the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai anime. Often labeled “Dear you -Bonds-”, based on the title’s English translation.
With “you” -Kizuna- – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOnXiFVg7Lc
- On the CD released by M.Graveyard (dai’s circle) at C73, there are a few more songs. Thanks features the vocals from the yours vocal version on the instrumental from Meakashi-hen. Bouquet of funeral is an arrangement of “Cradle song”.
- I’m not sure if it was actually on the CD, but a different version of “you” seems to be associated with this CD. you (Botsu), translated to “you (unused),” uses the vocals from the Thanks/you version with new instrumentation. According to dai, it was going to be on yours, but he felt that he’d be overusing that set of vocals. At one point, the mp3 was available at dai’s site, but I can’t find it anymore. The link is still alive, though.
you (Botsu) – http://mgraveyard.cze.me/upload/src/you_botu.mp3
With regards to English translations of lyrics, Atashi has translated all of the songs (with vocals) listed here but two. I, myself, have translated “you”, by Yukino Satsuki, and “Omoi (Vocal)”, by Yuduki.
Alright, I’ve covered most of the ones from “official” albums (official as in either non-doujin or by dai himself); there are many other fanmade versions. If there’s anything significant that I’m missing, please let me know.
Hope this helps.